Thursday, March 6, 2014

STUCK

Life imitating art....

This time last year I was a volunteer for the Cincinnati stop of the nationwide tour of a documentary named Stuck. Check out the trailer here:  www.stuckdocumentary.com 

It's an award-winning film that was made by an adoptive dad to raise awareness about the current state of international adoption.

As I sat with the other audience members, on the verge of finally traveling to meet Nash for the first time, never did I image that one year later I would be STUCK in the international adoption maze. We went into the adoption process with eyes wide open, expecting the unexpected. We even counsel couples that come to our adoption classes that anything can happen in adoption. That you have to go into it as educated and mentally/spiritually prepared as you possibly can be. But.....wow. The mirror image that I now see reflected back from this powerful movie is uncanny.

The tears I cried as I sat heartbroken for the parents in the film that were separated from their children due to mindless rules, clerical errors, apathy...... I had no idea that tears would be shed for some of the EXACT same reasons for my own adoption just months later.

I encourage you to view this film. Not just to understand our adoption plight, or someone else that you may know that is adopting. More importantly, that you too, will understand the desperate need that these children have for champions to fight for their cause. The rest of the world is either ignorant to the fact that millions of orphans exist (I once was) or they turn a blind eye to the fact once they know.

I challenge you to grab your favorite drink, some tissues, and block out 90 minutes to find out what really is happening to orphans growing up with out families. Then decide what you might be able to do to help.

You can stream Stuck on www.netflix.com or at www.stuckdocumentary.com


The picture below was taken at Nash's orphanage. There are over 120 children living there. The majority of them will NEVER be adopted. NEVER have a mommy & daddy tuck them in at night. This is just 1 orphanage x 120 kids x at least 100 more orphanage in just the country of Ghana! There are 5 million orphans in Ethiopia. Estimates of upwards of 1 million orphans in China. I could list all the countries and all the statistics, but it would fill up the page and make your head spin.

The one fact I know: God created every single 1 of them to have abundant life and to know that they are LOVED by him!! Every child deserves a family.



~Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment